Link for named teams. https://www.rowingnz.kiwi/Stor
ROWING - MAADI 2015The NZ Secondary Schools Championships (Maadi) were held 23-28 March 2015 at Lake Karapiro Cambridge with a Roncalli Squad of 19 rowers, 3 coaches and plenty of parents heading north.The largest Secondary Schools Sporting event in Australasia this year saw 2155 rowers from 120 schools in attendance.
On arriving Saturday afternoon all rowers were soon into the thrill that is Maadi with training on Sunday morning followed by a colourful and loud Street Parade in Cambridge of all schools attending. More training rows that afternoon then an early night for what was to be a very big week of competition. Monday and Tuesday saw initial Heats and a few Repercharges raced, with Wednesday & Thursday being key Quarter Final and Semi Final days.
All Roncalli crews progressed well through the week with some very good performances against the best NZ had to offer. The racing became more competitive and “cut-throat” as the week closed in on the “business end” with the main aim of all rowers being to row on the main Finals Days of Friday and Saturday. In a great squad-wide performance all achieved this goal with a total of 12 boats racing in either A or B Finals on Friday and Saturday - all rowers being in at least one of these races. An outstanding performance by all, from novices through to our most experienced rowers, considering the size of the regatta and the strength & resources of some of the 120 schools in attendance. Roncalli again punching above its weight!!
The “A” Final results for our 5 x A Finalists are detailed below with the highlight being a thrilling GOLD medal row by our Girls Under 18 Coxed Quad. A stunning effort by all girls in the crew and an ideal way for Libby Davenport and Laura & Olivia Cockroft to sign off their Roncalli Rowing careers in their last race for the College. These girls leave us having added significantly to the proud tradition of Roncalli Rowing at Maadi – in her 5 years attending Maadi Libby has won 4 x NZ Titles and in their 3 years at Maadi Laura & Olivia have won 2 x NZ Titles.
“A” Final MAADI Results
- GOLD & NZ Champions – Girls Under 18 Coxed Quad – Libby Davenport, Bridget Cody, Laura Cockroft, Abby McIlroy and Olivia Cockroft (cox) – a win from lane one as eighth fastest qualifier showed everyone the determination & ability this crew undoubtedly has.
- 4th A Final – Boys Under 15 Double – Jack Gibbs & Sam Anderson – against much bigger opposition these two stormed home to finish as the top ranked South Island crew.
- 6th A Final – Boys Under 15 Coxed Quad – Jack Gibbs, Sam Anderson, Will Ellis, Tyrone Cox and Molly Richardson (cox) – a young cohesive crew with heaps of potential and ability – watch for them next season
- 7th A Final – Girls Under 18 Double – Libby Davenport and Laura Cockroft – another impressive result by these experienced rowers in a very competitive event
- 8th A Final – Girls Under 17 Coxed Quad – Abby McIlroy, Bridget Cody, Lily Simpson, Anna Gregan and Olivia Cockroft (cox) – a big event with 31 crews entered and an NZ Top 10 finish was just reward for all the hard work.
We also wish to congratulate the following rowers on being selected for upcoming trials and wish them all the best over the next week or so:
- Libby Davenport – NZ Junior Trial 12-18 April at Lake Karapiro
- Abby McIlroy & Bridget Cody – South Island Under 18 Trial 10-12 April at Lake Ruataniwha
A huge thanks to our coaches Geoff McCrostie, Sarah Bruce and Brian Stephenson for all they have done during the season with our rowers up to and during Maadi. Their tireless efforts go so much further than coaching our crews as their determination to see all succeed and develop as rowers and young adults is unwavering. Thanks also to the College and all parents and supporters up at Maadi and back home – the rowers felt you all cheering them on wherever you were.
Now available to purchase are High Resolution JPEG photos of the FINALS of the Aon Maadi Cup Regatta taken by Steve McArthur the events photographer, as published on the ROWING CELEBRATION Facebook page. The images on the Facebook page are just a selection of what will be included in your order.
Every USB KEY will include: For the chosen event(s) All podium shots, finish line and last 100mtr shots, reactions from around the podium and where available the start line images from the early part of the regatta. Also included on every KEY will be a folder each of: (A) The opening parade, (B) The Rowing NZ tribute row, (C) A range of images covering the boat park, start line, crowd, supporters and the Haka’s to complete your 2015 Maadi memoir’s.
Here is an example of one event (G u16 2X) of the type of images that are included for your chosen event (look in this gallery for a nice recovery from a near sinking by the winning crew).
Small print – 1. Maximum of 3 events per order, 2. Order confirmation will be emailed on receipt of payment, 3. Orders will be shipped once the quota per event is reached, if the quota is not reached we reserve the right to refund your money, 4. A GST/Tax Invoice will be included with each order on shipping
Click here for the flyer for more details and to order the photos of the event you are interested in.
Vigour Ltd, 54 Johns Road, Christchurch 8051
Mobile - 021 677 889
Office - 0800 VIGOUR (0800 844 687)
NEW ZEALAND SECONDARY SCHOOLS ROWING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Best of luck to the following Rowers who have been selected to represent Roncalli at next weeks NZ Secondary Schools Rowing Championships (Maadi) being held at Lake Karapiro in Cambridge. Follow results and progress on www.rowit.co.nz with online livestreaming of racing Thursday 26th (semi-finals) and Friday 27th/ Saturday 28th (finals) on www.livestream.com and search for “Maadi 2015”.
With over 2200 athletes representing 125 + schools from throughout NZ, Maadi is the largest secondary schools sports event in Australasia. GO RONCALLI….!!!
Libby Davenport, Laura Cockroft, Olivia Cockroft (cox), Bridget Cody, Abby McIlroy, Lilly Simpson, Anna Gregan, Kim Geels, Kate Gebbie, Bridey Flynn, Molly Richardson (cox).COACHES Geoff McCrostie & Sarah Bruce
Tim Coughlan, Caleb Stephenson, Cameron Moffat, Jack Gibbs, Aidan Barnes-Webber, Sam Anderson, Tyrone Cox, William Ellis. COACH Brian Stephenson
SOUTH ISLAND SECONDARY SCHOOLS ROWING CHAMPIONSHIPSThe South Island Secondary Schools Rowing Champs was held over this past weekend at Lake Ruataniwha in Twizel. Enjoyed a full days racing on Saturday with some finals completed late afternoon & early evening. However high winds on Sunday saw the regatta abandoned without any further racing able to take place which meant final placing’s for the remaining events were determined on heat times.
With Maadi only two weeks away this was the final hit out for our rowers against over 1,000 of the best rowers in the South Island.
Roncalli College qualified 15 crews to 11 - A Finals and 4 - B Finals, with medal winning crews:
GOLD MEDAL and South Island Champions
- Girls Under 18 Coxed Quad – Libby Davenport, Bridget Cody, Laura Cockroft, Abby McIlroy and Olivia Cockroft (cox)
- Boys Under 15 Double – Jack Gibbs & Sam Anderson
- Boys Under 15 Coxed Quad - Jack Gibbs, Sam Anderson, Will Ellis, Tyrone Cox & Molly Richardson (cox)
- Girls Under 18 Double – Libby Davenport & Laura Cockroft
- Girls Under 17 Coxed Quad – Abby McIlroy, Bridget Cody, Lilly Simpson, Anna Gregan and Olivia Cockroft (cox)
Plenty of great racing which set us up nicely for the big week that is Maadi – 23-28 March at Lake Karapiro in Cambridge.
NEW ZEALAND ROWING CHAMPS
Congratulations to our Senior Girl Rowers Libby Davenport, Laura Cockroft, Bridget Cody and Abby McIlroy who, along with two rowers from TGHS, represented the Timaru Rowing Club at recent NZ Nationals held in Twizel 17-21 February. With the “big guns” of NZ rowing such as Made Drysdale, Hamish Bond and Lucy Spoors all in attendance it was a big week of racing – ideal preparation for upcoming South Island Secondary Schools and MAADI events. Racing against much older University Students and women, our girls performed very well with the following notable results achieved:
Women’s Coxless Quad
- Libby Davenport, Tarina Crampton TGHS, Laura Cockroft and Abby McIlroy finished 6th in the A Final and First South Island crew home
Women’s Under 19 Double
- Libby Davenport & Laura Cockroft finished 4th in their A Final missing a Bronze by just 0.62 of a second
- Bridget Cody & Abby McIlroy finished 4th in their B Final
Women’s Club Double
- Libby Davenport & Laura Cockroft won their B final in a time that made them 7th fastest overall.
Women’s Club Single
- Libby Davenport missed an A Final by 0.40 of a second in her semi-final and although fastest qualifier for her B Final did not get to race this due the poor weather resulting in the race being rescheduled to that evening.
Overall some great results.
Bring on SISS and MAADI for all Roncalli Rowers!!